During these unique global times when it can be harder to keep up your normal social interactions, I thought it would be good to remind you why POSITIVE SOCIAL INTERACTION is so important!
- Positive Socializing allows us to REINFORCE our positive thoughts and beliefs by sharing them verbally. While you may not have mastered POSITIVE Self-Talk (click here for a great FREE meditation to help you with that!) when you are with others, you may tend to try to be more OPTIMISTIC or HAPPY out of respect for them. In order to not be a ‘downer’, you speak uplifting words which help those around you as well as yourself!
- Positive socializing also allows YOU TO BENEFIT from the positive thoughts and beliefs of those around you! During uplifting conversations with optimistic people, you can be the beneficiary of the good words spoken, and expand your own understanding and POSITIVE BELIEFS about YOURSELF, LIFE and the WORLD!
- Socializing allows for positive REFOCUSING. This shift in focus away from thoughts about oneself can be a HEALTHY BREAK. When left alone it is easy for people to become self-absorbed, depressed, obsessive, anxious, etc. However, when given the chance to interact with others, one can open to new stimulating ideas that give the mind RELIEF.
- Socializing allows people to be ALTRUISTIC by listening to others. By lending an ear to someone, you are giving them your time and support and humans often INSTINCTIVELY FEEL GOOD when helping others.
- NEW IDEAS can come to us through good interactions with others! The new ideas may stimulate feelings of HOPE, CREATIVITY, EXPANSION and EXCITEMENT.
- Physical HEALTH is shown to be improved by having fulfilling relationships.
So even though you may be quarantined this fall, you can still socialize in various ways. Try to maintain GOOD CONVERSATIONS with others regularly and your mental and emotional health will thank you!
~Dr. Rahman Beckwith integrates Positive Psychology and spirituality to create unique approaches to wellness. A graduate of Princeton University, she is a global speaker and the author of many books, e-courses, and Mp3s/CDs available on Amazon.com and her website. Find her many videos on YouTube. Follow her Facebook page Holistic Therapy with Dr. Rahman and her Instagram, Dr.RahmanBeckwith, for updates!